As someone who would happily have porridge and oats daily for breakfast, snacks, and pre-workout meals, I always love experimenting with the flavours and textures of what I add into my bowl. Seen as the days are getting shorter and the weather is getting colder in England, I thought I’d spice up my porridge bowl by making some “carrot cake” style oats over the hob.
From the ingredients below, you can see that I also added shredded apple to the recipe as the flavours accommodated the carrots and cinnamon so well, however, this is completely optional. The protein powder can also be skipped if you don’t want to add this to your oats, just make sure to add a little less liquid so they still turn out nice and thick. My main reason for adding protein powder is due to how much it thickens my porridge, giving it that desired texture. Adding protein powder in with my porridge also boosts my protein intake for the day, so that’s a nice little bonus for muscle repair and growth!
Now, onto the recipe as I know that’s what you’re all here for.
– 100g Oats
– 150g plant milk (I used coconut milk)
– 30g vanilla protein powder
– 1/2 mashed banana
– 2 grated carrots
– 1/2 grated apple
– 2 tbsp maple syrup
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– light sprinkle of nutmeg
Toppings: Sliced banana, sliced apples, pumpkin seeds, almonds, almond butter, maple syrup.
1. Place the oats, milk, mashed banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated carrot and apple to a pan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently with a spatula or wooden spoon.
2. Then, add the maple syrup protein powder in towards the end (around 3 minutes in) and feel free to add a dash of extra milk or water if it gets too thick.
3. Pour your porridge into a bowl and add your desired toppings.
4. Let it cool for around 1-2 minutes before digging in!