These flapjack squares are so simple to make and an absolute treat to have around the house for healthy snacking. Unlike traditional flapjacks that use margarine or butter, these use coconut oil and maple syrup to bind the ingredients together.
If you’re looking for a gluten-free flapjack option, feel free to replace the all purpose flour with gluten-free flour, as the recipe should work well either way.
For the caramel sauce:
– 7 large Medjool dates
– 350ml water
For the flapjack layers:
– 160g rolled oats
– 180g all-purpose flour
– 1tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 cup (brown) sugar
– 130g maple syrup
– 1/2 cup almond butter
– 1/4 cup Coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and start making the caramel sauce by placing a saucepan on medium heat. 2. Add your pitted Medjool dates in the saucepan with 350ml water and let it simmer for 1- minutes. Keep stirring and towards the end, mash up the dates slightly with a fork to create a caramel-like paste.
3. In a large bowl, combine all your dry ingredients: oats, flour cinnamon, and sugars.
4. In a separate bowl, add all your wet ingredients: maple syrup, almond butter, and coconut oil. Microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring the ingredients each time, until the coconut oil has melted and all ingredients have turned into a smooth mixture.
5. Combine your wet ingredients with your dry ingredients and mix together until combined. The mixture shouldn’t be too smooth at the end, so don’t worry if it looks crumbly.
6. Line a 8×8 baking tray with parchment paper and add 2/3 of the crumble at the bottom, pressing down with your fingers or a spatula to create a dense layer.
7. Then, pour your warm caramel date sauce on top, evenly distributing it.
8. Lastly, sprinkle the rest of the crumble on top of the date sauce, pressing down slightly.
9. Bake for 25-30’ or until golden, allowing for an additional 15 minute cooling period before slicing the bake into squares.
If you try out this recipe, remember to tag me in any pictures on Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/natasa_fitness_foodie/) as I’d love to see your recreations.