Who doesn’t love coming back home from a long day to a freshly cooked pasta bake, with that perfectly crunch at the top and a creamy, hearty interior? Well, this recipe’s not only just that, but it’s a great one to make in a batch that will last you for the rest of the week.
I’ve added bread crumbs and nutritional yeast to make the top layer nice and crunchy, but feel free to leave this step out if you’re just after a simple, creamy pasta bake! There’s also chunks of vegan sausages between the pasta, however feel free to add any other meat replacement here, such as ‘chicken,’ or to just leave this step out all together. Again, same goes with the vegetables, I’ve added an assortment of vegetables, however this recipe would also work great with any vegetables of your choice: aubergine and courgette would be a winner as they’d give the recipe a mediterranean touch!
There are a few separate steps involves, such as pre-cooking the penne pasta, pre-baking the vegan sausages, and making the creamy sauce before adding everything together into the dish, however it’s actually quite easy to put together when it comes down to making it.
- 500g penne pasta
For the sauce:
- 1 vegetable stock pot
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 250ml oat milk (depending on how thick / creamy you like your pasta)
- 300g frozen country veg: carrots, peas, sweetcorn, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- 300g diced mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper
- (would work great, but not in pictures: 1 roasted courgette & 1/2 roasted aubergine)
- 3 vegan sausages
For the “breadcrumbs”:
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 heaped tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- OR 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (or put 2 slices of crustless bread through a food processor)
- Optional: add vegan cheese on top of the breadcrumbs for added ‘cheesyness’
- Heat up the pasta in a pan for 10′ until it’s just under done and then drain immediately. Whilst your pasta is cooking, turn on your oven on 180c for when you’re ready to place your pasta bake into it.
- Add your 3 vegan sausages into the oven until nearly cooked, once ready, add them to your finished sauce.
- Start making your sauce by adding your vegetable stock and a splash of oat milk to the base of a pan and wait for it to heat up and melt, thenn add your flour and quickly stir it in until it forms a thick and smooth consistency. Then add in your sliced mushrooms and let it simmer for around 5′. Once your mushrooms have cooked, add in the rest of the ingredients, leaving the mustard and nutritional yeast until last.
- For the breadcrumbs, combine all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until combined, but not for too long as we still want that crumbly texture.
- Combine your drained pasta with your sauce, mix well and then pour into a baking tray, topping it off with your breadcrumbs. This is where you top off with vegan shredded cheese if you want extra cheesyness.
- Bake for 20′, or until golden on top! Leave the pasta to cool for around 5-10′ minutes before serving!