Nachos are a perfect party staple and my favourite (savoury) go-to snack, so when I perfected a creamy cheese sauce to drizzle all over my tortilla crisps, I knew I just had to share the recipe! It’s such an easy, affordable, and delicious way to make a creamy vegan cheese sauce, mainly using cashews and oat milk.
Before I started experimenting with ingredients to make a vegan cheese sauce, I used to add a store-bought vegan sour cream sauce and would then top the nachos with a hefty amount of vegan grated cheese. Ever since I’ve fallen in love with this cashew sauce and made it taste as cheesy and delicious as it does, I don’t even need to add grated cheese on top. It perfectly hits the spot!
To make the home-made cheesy sauce, I used my highspeed Thermomix blender, but any high-speed blenders should give you the desired consistency- you might just need to be more persistence with blending the soaked cashews at first. A few other high-speed blenders that I’ve heard good reviews on include the Ninja blender: https://amzn.to/2WWQeVG and the Vitamix blender: https://amzn.to/2Y4L3jc.
Along with my home-made cheesy sauce, I top my tortilla crisps with salsa, guacamole, and jalapenos. Of course, if you wanted to make your nacho toppings even denser, then feel free to add some vegan grated cheese on top before placing the platter into the oven.
Now, let’s get into the recipe! I’ve made sure to add links to all the ingredients, so just click on them and the links will open up in a new window- so you know where to find them/ what they look like, just in case you’re not sure.
Yield: 1 tray of Nachos (2 people)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 pack of Nachos
- Homemade vegan cheese sauce (ingredients below)
- Home-made guacamole
– 2 avocados
– chopped tomato
– coriander (optional)
- Jar of tomato salsa
- Handful of jalapenos
Ingredients for the Vegan Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of salt & pepper
Method for the Vegan Cheese sauce:
- The cheese sauce needs to be prepared before you make the nachos as you need to SOAK your cashews in hot water for at least 5-6 hours before you make the sauce. This will make sure that the cashews blend smoothly into a creamy cheese sauce.
- Once your cashews have soaked, drain the water out of them and add them to your blender.
- Along with your cashews, add the nutritional yeast, oat milk, garlic, lemon juice, turmeric, and salt & pepper.
- Blend all the ingredients together on high speed for 30 seconds and then mix everything around and blend them again until smooth.
- For a thicker cheese sauce, add less oat milk and for a thinner cheese sauce add more oat milk once you’ve blended the ingredients together.
Method for the Nachos:
- Make sure that you already have your vegan creamy cheese sauce ready.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare your guacamole by mashing your 2 avocados in a bowl and mixing them with a chopped tomato, a squeeze of fresh lemon, and a sprinkle of coriander.
- Start arranging your tortilla crisps in your preferred order by layering your nacho dish with different layers of crisps and toppings.
- For my nachos, I had a layer of tortilla crisps, followed by a layer of creamy sauce, salsa, and guacamole… then repeat until you’ve reached the top of the dish.
- Add some jalapenos on top of your nachos and place them in the oven for 10-15 minutes (here’s where you can add extra grated cheese if you want). This step is completely optional as I like to eat my nachos both oven baked and cold- it’s personal preference!
If you try these out, make sure to let me know how they turn out and tag me in any of your Instagram stories/ recipe recreations! I’d appreciate it if you could follow my blog and drop by my insta as well: nutritionalnatasa.